ACP STATES 3
Preferential treatment for ACP states has caused friction between the EC and members of the World Trade Organization, especially the USA, which has long objected to the preferential treatment given to banana producers in Caribbean states.
See also: Development Aid; OCTs; Overseas Development Fund; System of Stabilization of Export Earnings; System for Safeguarding and Developing Mineral Production.)
The Intra – ACP Cooperation Strategy Paper and Multiannual Indicative Programme 2008-2013
In accordance with the ACP-EC Partnership Agreement, intra-ACP cooperation is embedded in the regional cooperation and integration framework and covers all regional operations that benefit many or all ACP States. Such operations may transcend the concept of geographic location. The general principles governing intra-ACP cooperation are subsidiarity, complementarity and visibility. Such cooperation falls into three main areas: global initiatives, “all-ACP” initiatives and pan-African initiatives.
The first part (Chapters 1 and 2) of the Strategy Paper on intra-ACP cooperation under the 10th EDF gives an overview of the EU-ACP policy framework, of the economic, social and environmental situation in ACP States, of their main structural weaknesses, in particular their vulnerability to international health challenges, exogenous shocks and climate change, and of their need to integrate further into the world economy.
Chapter 3 briefly describes the intra-ACP cooperation under the 9th EDF (totaling EUR 2 884 million) spread between eleven sectors, the most important in financial terms being health, the environment and natural resources, peace and security and debt reduction. It also draws lessons from past experience, in particular about the lack of concentration. Taking into account the foregoing findings, the response strategy (Chapter 4) identifies three clusters of action:
(1) Measures helping the ACP States to protect themselves against international threats by participating in global initiatives in the area of health and the fight against the main poverty-related diseases;
(2) Measures helping the ACP States to protect themselves against exogenous shocks in the area of climate change and environmental pressure and aiming at integrating the ACP States both among themselves and in the world economy by means of investments in physical infrastructure and promotion of related regulations, investments in higher education, cultural exchange, research and migration policy and, finally, more specific aid for trade, in the form of support for trade policy and regulation and trade development;
(3) More specific measures to support integration inAfrica, by means of peace-building activities, institutional capacity-building for the African Union and assistance to develop tools and strategies to address specific common challenges, notably in the area of agriculture and rural development.
In addition to these three clusters of action, institutional and support expenditure will cover the funding of the joint institutions (CDE, CTA, and JPA), partial funding of the ACP Secretariat, and the funding of an intra-ACP Technical Cooperation Facility. The second part of the Strategy Paper (Chapter 5) sets out the Multiannual Indicative Programme for intra-ACP cooperation, in particular the measures and activities planned and related amounts for each area and for each type of activity within them:
(1) Global initiatives concerning public health (EUR 300 million);
(2) “All-ACP” initiatives concerning climate change, infrastructure, science, education and culture, trade, the private sector and migration (EUR 1 290 million);
(3) Pan-African initiatives concerning peace and security, institutional support, agriculture and sanitary services (EUR 440 million);
Nov 28, 2012 ... Since 1990, Commission funding for ACP countries has risen steadily each year in real terms – and now it is spending more than ever before ...
Feb 4, 2013 ... European Commission - EuropeAid - EU-ACP Microfinance.
European Commission - EuropeAid - ACP-EU Energy Facility.
Nov 21, 2012 ... European Commission - EuropeAid - ACP-EU Energy Facility.
Feb 13, 2013 ... The Commission finances most of its development programmes for African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) partner countries through the ...
May 7, 2012 ... European Commission - EuropeAid - ACP-EU Water Facility.
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
ACP-EU ENERGY FACILITY. Biofuels position paper. EuropeAid. Page 1/7. Position paper on Biofuels for the ACP-EU Energy Facility. Introduction. The purpose ...
Feb 17, 2012 ... European Commission - EuropeAid - Country cooperation in the African, Caribbean, Pacific countries: what does EuropeAid, the EU ...
Nov 28, 2012 ... Thanks to its own experience, the European Union knows the value of regional co-operation as an engine of economic growth, development ...
European Commission - EuropeAid - ACP-EU Microfinance.